My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, August 01, 2009

'Long Distance' With the Glock 23

Hang out on Internet firearms forums for long, and you'll eventually run across the modern version of the 'Postal Match'. Today's postal matches are far ahead of their predecessors, because in addition to foregoing mailing costs, the results are available immediately. They also provide an interesting diversion for gun aficionados who simply click-in for whatever they can learn on their favorite pastime.

These Postal Matches might involve anything from 'three-gun' to 'pistols at ten paces'. The most recent one I participated in was entirely results-based; without specifying any particular weapon, the event was 'A single shot fired at the head of a silhouette or similar target, at 100 yards.' People with any sense would go to the closet and drag out Ol' Thunderstick, blow the dust off the Moonscope and set to work- right?

Well, nobody ever accused me of being overburdened with good sense. Several years ago I bought 300 rounds of (then) cheap .40 UMC loads using their 180 grain JHP bullet. Using that load, I've been able to bust a few laundry jugs with my little Glock 23, at 100 yards.

Not every shot mind you, but often enough to know it wasn't a fluke. Since this was a 'one shot' match, I figured I only had to be able to do it once. Here's the setup 114 yards from the target frame, mostly 'cuz that's where the shade is this time of day. Target is a TQ19.



The TQ19 isn't a big target by LE qualification standards, so I covered all but the top third of it's head with the top edge of the front sight, tweaked the alignment and pressed the trigger straight back until the crack of the shot surprised me. So did the target-



I'm sure glad I didn't have to try and do that twice. ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Hi Sarge!

I don’t even own a Glock but my son and I have played around at 100 yards using silhouette targets. Now, I wouldn’t want to venture a guess if either one of us could pull off a head shot on call; my suspicion is its way beyond our skill levels.

None the less, after dialing in a few things, with a some sighters, we’d both be hitting the primary figure fairly consistently.

It’s amazing what an off-the-shelf guns can do.

Looks like you were having some real fun.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009 2:46:00 PM  
Blogger Sarge said...

Fun indeed, Tony.

Judging from some of the targets I've seen posted on your blog, I doubt it's beyond your capabilities at all. I think it's about three parts Elmer (Keith) and one part Zen...or was it ZZ Top?

All jokes aside, I know I can't do it on-call but just for S&G's I think I'm gonna mark that hole & try five more. I'll post the results, however sad they may be.

Momma always said humility was a good thing ;)

Thursday, August 06, 2009 11:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

b-e-a-utiful shot!

Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:01:00 PM  
Blogger James Jones said...

This is a brilliant writing and very pleased to find this site. I couldn’t discover to much different information on your blog. I will surely be back again to look at some other important posts that you have in future.
Custom Glock

Saturday, February 25, 2017 2:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home