My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 22, 2009

A few patterns with the 870 Express....


Using the 21 inch barrel and three different RemChoke tubes. I used Winchester 'Universal' El Cheapo 2 3/4" 3 dram equivalent field loads, stoked with 1 1/8 oz. of No. 7 1/2 shot. I have pretty well settled on this shell for the lighter birds and it has produced satisfactory pattens in several other shotguns I've used it in.


Distance was 40 yards and the targets were Champion 25 yard 'Slowfire Pistol' that measure about 11x16 inches. Not SAAMI standard pattern testing I know, but big enough to get a few pellets on just the same.


Anyhow, pics are of the back of each target from the Improved, Modified and Full tubes, left to right in that order. Lacking a dead bird to trace around, I used my cell phone to make a 2 x 4 1/2 inch rectangle on the back of each target behind the aiming point. Click to enlarge...


Photobucket


I don't know exactly what I proved here but I did convince myself that I'll be able to kill a few doves with this outfit. I don't turkey, goose or duck hunt but I think the Improved tube should be about right for jump shooting doves & quail on early morning walks, around dew-laden corn fields.


It ain't 'zactly bee-yooteful, but this little shotgun will wander no more in search of a home ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home