My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, May 20, 2011

Kudos to Charter Arms…

Awhile back I picked up an old Charter Arms Undercover .38 Special, made about 1965. It was in good shape, worked OK, and it showed promise as a pocket gun.  It also shot pretty well with a good plinking/small game reload, using W231 and a 158 grain Hornady bullet.



Some 200 rounds later, it started developing misfires with CCI primers; admittedly the hardest primers out there. I checked the firing pin protrusion and got a shade over 0.040” which is well under industry standard. So I called Charter, explained the problem and asked to purchase some replacement parts. They eventually sent me a new mainspring assembly, extra-length firing pin and spring and they didn’t charge me a dime for any of it. This breathed new life into a decent little 38 snub.

Given the horror stories we hear of handgun manufacturers who blame service problems on the customer, demand the gun be shipped back on your dime--then return your gun with problem unsolved—this is exemplary service by Charter Arms, for a gun they made FORTY FIVE YEARS ago.

Some of Charter’s competition could take a lesson from them, on how to treat customers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

Some time ago, I used to own a CA Target Bulldog in .357. I bought it for home defense in the early 80’s. To this day I regret using it as trade fodder.

It was a dandy little gun that was well made from a fine company.

Monday, May 23, 2011 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get rid of your original grips. I was wondering if you still had them.
andy

Monday, October 10, 2011 1:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home